Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Tie one on!

Wearing a tie can either be an experiment in cross-dressing, as with Avril Lavigne’s signature look (picture below right via photobysameer.blogspot), or it can be glamourously girly.
Gwen Stefani, pictured at left via tiesplanet.com, sexes up the necktie with red lips and a cinched waist.
The Tuleh runway look [top left] glamorously splits the difference, combining menswear elements like pants and a fedora with girly glamour: sparkles and a wide, loose neck wrap.
Today’s Couture Carrie post explores the dichotomy!

GIRLY
Zac Posen bow, via vogue.com/fr
Milly, via nymag.com

Proenza Schouler bow, from vogue.com/fr
Valentino dress with double bows - waist and neckline! Runway photo via nymag.com
Moschino skinny black tie, via French Vogue

The bigger the better!
Proenza Schouler big green bow, courtesy nymag.com
Elie Saab Couture gown, via style.com
Oversize plaid bowtie at Karen Walker. Picture via nymag.com
Christian Lacroix Couture, courtesy style.com
John Galliano, via nymag.com
Tiny does it at 6267. Photo courtesy nymag.com
Anna Sui narrow neck wrap; detail photo via style.com
Tibi skinny gold neck wrap, via nymag.com
BOYISH


Jean Paul Gaultier Couture narrow black necktie, via style.com
DSquared2 skinny necktie detail, pictured via style.com.
Ralph Lauren Spring 2008, courtesy nymag.com

Richard Nicoll monochrome menswear-inspired look, via nymag.com
Ruffian, via nymag.com
Temperley London bowtie, via style.com
Eley Kishimoto bowtie, via nymag.com
Bill Blass, courtesy nymag.com
Gianfranco Ferre purple necktie, courtesy vogue.com/fr
CC totally did a double take when she saw this Rag & Bone model – thought it was a guy!! Photo via nymag.com.Same deal at the Lacoste show – at first blush, CC couldn’t differentiate boy from girl!! Picture courtesy nymag.com. A word to the wise: When wearing a man's necktie, keep other elements of the outfit feminine!!
What’s a girl to buy??
For the truly daring, go directly to Brooks Brothers (or any thrift store!) and buy a classic chevron-striped tie; singer Janelle Monae just did it to stunning effect for a recent issue of U.S. Vogue!



CC also advises purchasing several bowtie-built-in pieces, such as this pale Nili Lotan bow tie halter mini dress, currently half off at shopbop.com!
Moschino keyhole tunic dress with tuxedo tie, at net-a-porter.com
Madison Marcus purple dress with contrasting black tie. Go to standardstyle.com to purchase. This would be such a great layering piece for fall, worn with patterned tights and maybe even a plaid duster!

Proenza Schouler black and white sheer puff sleeve blouse with self-tie neck wrap.
Visit the lovely presseboutique.com.Another exquisite top in the most lovely shade of ocean . . . this Doo Ri stretch Georgette blouse, available at eLuxury.com
Marc by Marc Jacobs tie front pointelle blouse, currently on sale at eLuxury.com
Combining two trends in one: French Connection Victoria check shirt - perfect with a high-waisted pencil skirt, right?
This sheer dark floral tie-neck blouse from Forever 21 would be so cute peeking out from under a cardi!

CC is loving this rich navy Robert Rodriguez tie-front blouse, made unique by elegant draped sash arm details.
Go to shopbop.com to buy.
Moschino bow-front coat, at net-a-porter.com



If the necktie look is not for you, never fear! There is this ladylike and flirty Robert Rodriguez tweed tie front skirt.
Visit shopbop.com
Another fab footwear find: Valentino’s grosgrain bow bootie, at Bergdorf Goodman New York. Available online in the shade above and solid black; go to bergdorfgoodman.com.
Or slip on these covetable Christian Louboutin Jolie Noeud Dorcet peep toe patent pumps pictured above.
Visit net-a-porter.com to buy!
How cute is this Minnie Mouse bow ring? And it’s just $40 at fredflare.com!CC fell in love with this Chloe Ella leather clutch.
Purchase at net-a-porter.com.

Whether as a neckwrap or in some other fashion, either girly or boyish, the bow/tie is a must for fall!


For all the particulars on the necktie, see Dapper Kid's post from yesterday! http://dapperkid.blogspot.com/2008/07/essentials-part-one-shirt.html

63 comments:

Sharon S said...

Hi there-I love the pussy bow look, but I wouldn't go for a mannish tie on me-I'm not that brave!!

♔Jaimie said...

Hey there. Added you to my blogroll list!

Always In Style said...

I'm not for the Avril Lavigne tie look but I do like the more feminine flirty ones - very sweet!

thesil said...

I like the ties but only as a bow, and only in clothes. Normally I don´t agree bows on shoes or bags

BoatoLuxo said...

I love everuting 'bout Proenza... nice post...

TIG said...

Love this trend, especially the oversized and girly bows {and that Elie Saab dress and Moschino bow-front coat are gorgeous!}

Blonde hair, Blue jeans said...

oh, galliano is so great there!

WendyB said...

I did the skinny man's tie in the '80s. I think that's one trend from my past that I won't repeat.

Mónica said...

Milly coat is amazing!!

Mariel said...

What a great post! I had dismissed ties as a fashion statement after I finally escaped my (awful) punk-rock phase, and haven't really though of them since, but this post made me realize all the amazing things you can do with them!

Hanne said...

Ties can be so stylish if you wear it the right way. But I doubt I would have used it;)

Da Fashionista said...

love me some bows!

your round ups are literally the highlight of my day ;)

Tricia said...

oh, i'm so into the men's tie look, Gwen looks so amazing! But Annie Hall/mens look is more my style.

Diego R. Wyatt said...

I love the men's tie on women as long as they have the confidence and style to pull it off. The looks from Ruffian and Proenza Shouler are especially ferocious.

Kira Aderne said...

fantastic!!!

a kiss!!!

Reena Rai said...

I love the first look with the slouchy trousers. Hate the Avril look though. I think I gotta pursuade The Boy to go shirt and tie shopping with me so I can pick ties I secretly want to steal ;)

MDS* said...

I love all the looks, ties can be very sexy!!!!

I have added you, :)

Syed said...

Love the tie look!! And thank you so so so much for linking my post :)

Anthea said...

Great post :) The ties are very tempting. Thanks for your comment!

Siljesfashion said...

Love the bow tie look. Do you mind if I add you to my blogroll?

María said...

Hola:

Vengo a darte las gracias por tu visita a mi blog, y por dejar tu huella, ya que gracias a ella, ahora puedo estar visitando tu precioso blog, el cual, me ha gustado muchísimo, y he disfrutado muchísimo viendo los modelos.

Muchas gracias por compartir tu blog con todos.

Un beso.

we wear things said...

oh i do love the bow look, and the tie.. though whenever i try to pull off the tie look, i feel like i look more school girl than chic.

-issa

Shen-Shen said...

I absolutely adore bows and ties, I think I need to get gigantic bows that I can pin on to all my shirts!

Mary said...

All of your pictures make me drool bbut the first two are the best. Oh wow, I love Zac Posen!

And I need all of the shoes that you posted... can you say addict?!

Jessica said...

I love the look DSquared achieved. and the one from Rag & Bone.
Great post !

TINA said...

Lovely post! I love ties and bows of all sorts. I love how you divided the sections into "girly" and "boyish".
The Moschino coat is gorgeous!

Anonymous said...

I love the way Gwen Stefani wears her tie. She brings so much class to it as opposed to Avril.

Unknown said...

The tie is a great idea!

La Clocharde said...

Hi darling,

I love bows, so I enjoyed this post a lot...anyways, your posts are always great.
Thanks for the comment btw, I also thought of that combination for fall.

I've added you to my links, hope you don't mind.

Bisous,

L

Fifi Flowers said...

Oh fun... I have many ties... I'm fashionable! Love those black heels with bows... LOVE LOVE them!

Anonymous said...

bows are my lifetime obsession
i want to get a tatoo of a bow on the back of my neck probably in senior year in highschool or around that time
theyre like the essence of fashion and being girly and having the choice of being nice and neat or messy and effortless
there arent enough words to explain how much they represent what i love :]

Arielle said...

I love the Nili Lotan dress and the Robert Rodriguez skirt
As for the Avril look, I'm not really a big fan but good for the people who can pull it off

Dana (MODAna) said...

I love the bow look, but not in its oversized versions (ahem, Elie Saab!)
I like it dainty and cute, and not in male tie form, ever.

Jordana said...

So glad fashion is letting this school boy trend hand out and evolve for awhile! Love it! Perhaps Gossip Girl had a little bit of an influence?

Thanks so much for your comment! I really liked the Botkier bags at the sale...but no purchases yet. have you seen their line for Target? I haven't seen it in person, but I'm intrigued!

Anonymous said...

Fab post! For a bow addict, there was so much to drool over :)

Tani Lezama said...

Me gustan los pantalones muy anchos, con tacos altos y bastante plataforma... adoro los palazo!
yo saqué varios por acá, lastima la gente no supo apreciarlos mucho!!!

besos CC

Aliena said...

Loved the post! Showed me how to wear bows without looking too girly or prissy! Thanks!

Bente said...

I'm in love with most of these things!

Pamela Tan said...

mannn.. i really love this post! im copying pictures!! haha :) ilove the bows.. and skinny tie's!!

Anonymous said...

I prefer bows, they are so stylish )))

Imelda Matt - The Despotic Queen of Shoes said...

give me a pussy bow anytime!

MARTINICA said...

Your blog it's fantastic, I in love of the tie fashion.
Thank for your visit in my blog I hope you again.

xxx

Sr Q said...

Me encanta el pase de Marina Pérez en Proenza Schouler, me encanta.

Bluukbob said...

ahh lovely..

thanks for the awesome post

xpxp

Laura in Paris said...

You seem to say a bow and a tie are the same. I had never tought of them as the same fashion expression, originally for women and men respectively, how interesting ...

Iñaki said...

I always have a hard time deciding whether to wear a tie. I think it has to be handled carefully and NEVR like Avril.

xx

erin de la cruz said...

I always believe BIGGER THINGS are BETTER.

Rebecca, A Clothes Horse said...

I love ties on women, especially the classic menswear knotted ones. I need to learn how to tie one!

Seeker said...

I love feminine/masculine look with ties, I bought 3 thin ties I hope I can wear them for fall.
Bows are also so cuteeeee.
Love them also.

xoxo

Bombchell said...

6 years of knotting ties in boarding school and im still not sick of them.

S (formerly of Modern-Guilt) said...

I've been wearing the feminine necktie for ages now, at least a few times a week I try to incorporate it. Great inspiration photos in this post, I love it.

MakeupByRenRen said...

whoa, i wanna be like you when i grow up. definitely adding you to my blogrolll :)

please sir said...

These are all so much fun - I love the pink one!

Myriam said...

I love ties!! I want more sweet ties, yes please

Shay said...

that ring! so cute!!

Regine said...

Thanks for the comment:))

Nice blog you have. so many great outfits.i love the colour blue! ;)

especially like the miss sixty-style with the blouse and jeans.

LuLu124 said...

great ideas for ties!!! i love the bow-ish styles :) xoxo, lulu

Hunters Glory said...

fabulous fab.....u...lous!

Elizabeth said...

I'll throw my hat into the ring and say "I love neckties on women!"

♥ Marta ♥ said...

I love the bows especially at Proenza Schouler... although I don't think I would ever wear a tie, a bow is simply perfect :) ... great selection of photos :)

Alice @Ogni cosa bella è viola said...

I really love the Roberto Cavalli kimono dress, classy and exotic. The resort style is one of my fav tendencies of this summer.

Fastidious Babe said...

i loved this post! and i have a never ending affair with bows! xx

♔Jaimie said...

Just gave you a Brillant Blog Award!`